Love: American Style
A True Romantic
During the week of February 14th and Valentine's Day we think of love and romance.
Do you believe in love at first site? 71% of American's do, and it's not just women, it's men too. In fact, 48% of men vs. 28% of women said that it was love at first sight for them. 33% of guys say that it bothers them a lot that their mate isn't more romantic.
Married? In a relationship? Single?
Pretty much everyone in the world wants to be loved by a special someone. Women dream about it. Men fantasize about it. Yet, our divorce rate in the US is higher than it's ever been.
According to U.S. Census figures 44% of all American's are single. That means the other 56% are in relationships or married. And out of those in relationships and married, 64% of the men think it's okay to flirt online as compared to only 36% of women. Cupid, we have a problem in paradise!
Statistics say only 10% of married people who leave their spouse end up marrying the person they were having an affair with. And 90% of 3rd marriages end in divorce. Thankfully, John and I beat the odds, after I suffered through two abusive marriages/divorces, we met, dated, and married and we've been together for 23 years!
Finding Mr. or Miss Right
Dating is not what it once was. Used to be couples would meet in public, now online dating sites are the hit. Some 40 million Americans use social media to connect. Those who post pictures with profiles get receive twice as many emails as those who don't. When on a date, first impressions do count. The first fifteen minutes of the date is crucial and will determine if a guy will ask a girl out on a second date. I recently watched a segment of Dr. Phil where this 30 year old woman is still single because on her dates within the first few minutes she sabotages it by asking the guy how many kids he wants to have. Be patient, have fun, and get to know one another--if it works out you'll have the rest of your life to talk about your family and future. Bloomington, Indiana is the city with the most singles, some 58%. New York is the number one singles state for hooking up.
Living Together VS. Marriage
A recent study by the Penn State University
interviewed 92 couples and found that those who lived together before
- more verbally aggressive,
- more hostile and
- less supportive than those who waited until
marriage to live together.
Only 36% of Cohabiting couples who lived together until the child they parented turned 16, as compared to 70% of those that were married.
Can't Buy Me Love
Did you know the number #1 thing couples fight about is money? But apparently money can't buy love, because according to a recent article in Reader's Digest on marriage, those who are well off actually fight more than those with less money. Read More
57% of those in unhappy relationships said they still found their partner very attractive
Till Death Do Us Part
Did you know Las Vegas, Nevada is where most marriages take place? Sadly, it's also the divorce capitol of the world. Yet, those married couples who toughed it out, nearly 60% of both men and women in unhappy relationships when asked said they would want to spend eternity with their spouse. And 80% of all those that are divorced or separated believe that marriage should be for life.
Love Never Fails
According to the Bible in I Corinthians Chapter 13, Love never fails, people do. So if it's really love, it cannot fail no matter what you go through. Marriage has its ups and downs and ins and outs, but if you are really in love--you will not only survive, you will thrive with a love and passion that will keep the fires burning through even the coldest season.
Have a Happy Valentine's Day! God bless America! We'd love to here what you are doing to celebrate your love.
Lisa Freeman is an author, motivational speaker, AKC Evaluator, Dog Trainer, and Certified Pet Therapist from Owosso, Michigan. A lifelong abuse survivor, she specializes in rescue and recovery, helping others to break the victim mentality and become survivors. For more information contact her